SPEAKER SERIES 2017 (added monthly)
- February 7: Mark Summers of Jamestown Rediscovery. 2pm. He will speak on the recent archaeological findings from Jamestown Rediscovery regarding the 1608-1616 church chancel burials and how they uncovered the religion and politics of Jamestown during its earliest days
- February 21: Therbia Parker on Black History. 2pm. Hosted by the Suffolk Public Library at the Phillips-Dawson House.
- April 11: Nansemond River Garden Club. 2pm. Information on upcoming Western Branch Tour.
- May 9: Wonder why Suffolk natives sound the way they do? Dr. Bridget Anderson, Sociolinguistwill be speaking at the Phillips-Dawson House 2pm-3pm.
- June: We will be having special “Lunch & Learn” speaker series throughout the summer. Come and have a boxed lunch, while listening to a great speaker. Times will be changed to 12pm-1pm for these speaker series. Look forward to seeing you there! Updates will be made when scheduled.
- June 13: Please join us at the Phillips-Dawson House on Tuesday, June 13th from 12:00-1:00 pm. John Ericson, Museum Interpreter for Historic St. Luke’s Church, will speak on the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation and how it impacts religious freedom and the founding of America. We will offer a box lunch for $5.00. Come spend your lunch hour with us, while you learn! Box lunches must be pre-ordered by calling (757)539-2781.
- July 11: We are having Troy Valos, Genealogy Specialist with the Slover Library to speak on researching genealogy in Suffolk and Nansemond County. Please join us for this informative event and learn how to research your history and the sources available. This Afternoon Conversation is from 12:00-1:00 pm and you are welcome to have lunch with us. We will offer spinach wraps, chips and a drink for $5.oo and the Suffolk Library will offer sweets.
- August 8: “Buzzword”, Jeff Hancock from the Nansemond Beekeeper Association will be in the house to teach us about our local bees and their importance. Please join us at the Phillips-Dawson House Tuesday, August 8 @ 12:00-1:00 pm. BEE here!
REFER-A-FRIEND MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
- 2017 – Please take the opportunity to “Refer-A-Friend” to become a member of the Suffolk-Nansemond Historical Society!
SPRING MEMBERSHIP BANQUET
- March 13, 2017 @ 6:00 pm
held at Main Street United Methodist Church
CIVIL WAR TOURS w/ KERMIT HOBBS
- April 8 & 9 (Morning & Afternoon Schedule Available)
Sign -ups for Members begin March 13th, payment to guarantee spot!
- May 6: This year we will celebrate Train Day from 10:00 am-2:00pm. Activities will include: a scavenger hunt, a working model of a steam engine, crafts for both adults and children, snacks, and book signings by Train Book author Aubrey Willy.
- June 3: A Ladies Afternoon Tea will be held at the Phillips-Dawson House from 2pm-4pm. This will be a very special event! Look for your invitations in the mail and dust off your favorite hat. Special opening of the new exhibit!
OPENING OF NEW EXHIBIT
- June – August: Our new exhibit, “A Century of Fashion – Fashion Through the Decades” c. 1880 – c. 1980 will be on display at the Phillips-Dawson House and can be viewed during normal business hours. This is FREE to the public!
- July 22: Williamsburg Winery’s own Kenny Bumbaco will be at the Phillips-Dawson House from 5pm-7pm with a presentation on the history of Williamsburg Winery. The Suffolk-Nansemond Historical Society will be featuring Williamsburg wines and special cheeses. Please make your reservations now by calling (757)539-2781.
COMING IN SEPTEMBER
ANNUAL SALE held @ the Phillips-Dawson House!
SATURDAY, September 9th from 8:00am-2:00pm & SUNDAY, September 10th from 12:00pm-3:00pm
We are accepting donations up until September 5th. Please call 757-539-2781
COMING IN OCTOBER
FALL MEMBER MEETING
- October 16 @ 7:00-8:00pm Join us at the Phillips-Dawson House for delicious desserts and a special speaker.
- SATURDAY 11:00 am- 2:00 pm on October 28, 2017!
Touch-a-Truck, Train, and Trick or Treat will be in October at the Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum. SNHS hosts this event for the community and the children. This is one of our largest fundraisers and we need your help! This takes a big team of sponsors and volunteers. We will be handing out Halloween candy to the youngsters and dressing up in our favorite costumes. Call 757-923-4750 for more information on volunteering or to become a sponsor!
FILM SCREENING (TBA)
- Suffolk native Troy Thomas, Filmmaker from Atlanta, GA will be in Suffolk to screen his award winning PBS documentary, “Liberty & Slavery”. Troy will also be holding a question & answer session after the film. You do not want to miss this great opportunity. We will be sending out ticket information shortly.