SPEAKER SERIES 2017 (added monthly)
- February 7: Mark Summers of Jamestown Rediscovery. 2pm. He will speak on the recent archaeological findings from Jamestown Rediscovery regarding the 1608-1616 church chancel burials and how they uncovered the religion and politics of Jamestown during its earliest days
- February 21: Therbia Parker on Black History. 2pm. Hosted by the Suffolk Public Library at the Phillips-Dawson House.
- April 11: Nansemond River Garden Club. 2pm. Information on upcoming Western Branch Tour.
- May 9: Wonder why Suffolk natives sound the way they do? Dr. Bridget Anderson, Sociolinguistwill be speaking at the Phillips-Dawson House 2pm-3pm.
- June: We will be having special “Lunch & Learn” speaker series throughout the summer. Come and have a boxed lunch, while listening to a great speaker. Times will be changed to 12pm-1pm for these speaker series. Look forward to seeing you there! Updates will be made when scheduled.
- June 13: Please join us at the Phillips-Dawson House on Tuesday, June 13th from 12:00-1:00 pm. John Ericson, Museum Interpreter for Historic St. Luke’s Church, will speak on the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation and how it impacts religious freedom and the founding of America. We will offer a box lunch for $5.00. Come spend your lunch hour with us, while you learn! Box lunches must be pre-ordered by calling (757)539-2781.
REFER-A-FRIEND MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
- 2017 – Please take the opportunity to “Refer-A-Friend” to become a member of the Suffolk-Nansemond Historical Society!
SPRING MEMBERSHIP BANQUET
- March 13, 2017 @ 6:00 pm
held at Main Street United Methodist Church
CIVIL WAR TOURS w/ KERMIT HOBBS
- April 8 & 9 (Morning & Afternoon Schedule Available)
Sign -ups for Members begin March 13th, payment to guarantee spot!
- May 6: This year we will celebrate Train Day from 10:00 am-2:00pm. Activities will include: a scavenger hunt, a working model of a steam engine, crafts for both adults and children, snacks, and book signings by Train Book author Aubrey Willy.
- June 3: A Ladies Afternoon Tea will be held at the Phillips-Dawson House from 2pm-4pm. This will be a very special event! Look for your invitations in the mail and dust off your favorite hat. Special opening of the new exhibit!
OPENING OF NEW EXHIBIT
- June – August: Our new exhibit “A Century of Fashion – Fashion Through the Decades” c. 1880 – c. 1980 will be on display at the Phillips-Dawson House and can be viewed during normal business hours.
- July 22: Williamsburg Winery’s own Kenny Bumbaco will be at the Phillips-Dawson House from 5pm-7pm with a presentation on the history of Williamsburg Winery. The Suffolk-Nansemond Historical Society will be featuring Williamsburg wines and special cheeses. Please make your reservations now by calling (757)539-2781.
COMING IN SEPTEMBER
Suffolk native Troy Thomas, Filmmaker from Atlanta, GA will be in Suffolk to screen his award winning PBS documentary, “Liberty & Slavery”. Troy will also be holding a question & answer session after the film. You do not want to miss this great opportunity. We will be sending out ticket information shortly.
FALL MEMBER MEETING
- October (TBA)
held at the Phillips-Dawson House
- We are always accepting donations. Please call 757-539-2781 to set up a drop-off time.
- October (TBA)
Touch-a-Truck, Train, and Trick or Treat will be in October at the Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum. Call 757-923-4750 for more information or to become a sponsor!
- December (TBA)
Tickets will be available for pre-sale for $20/person at the Visitor’s Center and the Train Station Museum. Tickets will be $25/person on tour days and only available at the Phillips-Dawson House.
Houses Open for Tour: