SPEAKER SERIES 2017 (added monthly)
- February 7: Mark Summers of Jamestown Rediscovery. 2pm. He will speak on the recent archaeological findings from Jamestown Rediscovery regarding the 1608-1616 church chancel burials and how they uncovered the religion and politics of Jamestown during its earliest days
- February 21: Therbia Parker on Black History. 2pm. Hosted by the Suffolk Public Library at the Phillips-Dawson House.
- April 11: Nansemond River Garden Club. 2pm. Information on upcoming Western Branch Tour.
- May 9: Wonder why Suffolk natives sound the way they do? Dr. Bridget Anderson, Sociolinguistwill be speaking at the Phillips-Dawson House 2pm-3pm.
- June: We will be having special “Lunch & Learn” speaker series throughout the summer. Come and have a boxed lunch, while listening to a great speaker. Times will be changed to 12pm-1pm for these speaker series. Look forward to seeing you there! Updates will be made when scheduled.
REFER-A-FRIEND MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
SPRING MEMBERSHIP BANQUET
- March 13, 2017 @ 6:00 pm
held at Main Street United Methodist Church
CIVIL WAR TOURS w/ KERMIT HOBBS
- April 8 & 9 (Morning & Afternoon Schedule Available)
Sign -ups for Members begin March 13th, payment to guarantee spot!
- May 6: This year we will celebrate Train Day from 10:00 am-2:00pm. Activities will include: a scavenger hunt, a working model of a steam engine, crafts for both adults and children, snacks, and book signings by Train Book author Aubrey Willy.
- June 3: A Ladies Afternoon Tea will be held at the Phillips-Dawson House from 2pm-4pm. This will be a very special event! Look for your invitations in the mail and dust off your favorite hat.
PRE-SCREENING OF PBS DOCUMENTARY
- June 23: Suffolk native Troy Thomas, Filmmaker from Atlanta, GA will be in Suffolk to screen his award winning PBS documentary, “Liberty & Slavery”. Troy will also be holding a question & answer session after the film. You do not want to miss this great opportunity. We will be sending out ticket information shortly.
- July 22: Williamsburg Winery’s own Kenny Bumbaco will be at the Phillips-Dawson House from 5pm-7pm with a presentation on the history of Williamsburg Winery. The Suffolk-Nansemond Historical Society will be featuring Williamsburg wines and special cheeses. Mark your calendar, more details to follow.
FALL MEMBER MEETING
- October (TBA)
held at the Phillips-Dawson House
- We are always accepting donations. Please call 757-539-2781 to set up a drop-off time.
- October (TBA)
Touch-a-Truck, Train, and Trick or Treat will be in October at the Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum. Call 757-923-4750 for more information or to become a sponsor!
- December (TBA)
Tickets will be available for pre-sale for $20/person at the Visitor’s Center and the Train Station Museum. Tickets will be $25/person on tour days and only available at the Phillips-Dawson House.
Houses Open for Tour: